Friday 27 December 2013

goodneighborsusa: We’re very excited to announce Nellie Elliott...

http://jakepanzer.tumblr.com/post/58602837751
goodneighborsusa:

We’re very excited to announce Nellie Elliott...


goodneighborsusa:



We’re very excited to announce Nellie Elliott as our new Campaign Manager! She joins our staff with more than 10 years of events experience, including positions at DreamWorks and Dress For Success. At Good Neighbors, Nellie is responsible for rolling out marketing campaigns, securing corporate sponsorships, and planning fundraising events. Check out our Q&A below to learn more about her:


Q: How did you find out about Good Neighbors and what drew you to working for the organization?


After seeing the position on Idealist, I immediately went on to the Good Neighbors website to learn more.  I knew I wanted to work for this organization after spending hours on the site, learning more about our projects and the impact Good Neighbors has already made in the world.  I was excited about the possibility of joining the team to bring more awareness to a larger audience and get more people to become a good neighbor!


Q: What are some of your favorite Good Neighbors projects?


It’s probably cliche to say, but they are all remarkable projects.  What I love about our projects is that we don’t deal with just one specific issue or cause.  We see a need in a community and develop a project around that need to ensure that community can become self-sufficient and thrive.  We are just helpers along the way.  But if I had to pick one project that my heart goes out to right now, I would have to say our Water For Life project.  Have you seen the video on our website?!  It’s life-changing!


Q: What do you enjoy most about working here?


I guess I’m all about cliches here… but on my first day I can tell that all my colleagues at Good Neighbors were awesome people.  I love the relationship our whole team has and because every single person cares so much about each project we work on and about how to do good in the world, it’s so easy to wake up and go to work each day.  I love being with a team of people who all want to work together to affect the world.


Q: What big picture goals do you have for your position and where do you see Good Neighbors in the next few years?


My big picture goals are to spotlight the results of the work we’ve done globally, so that people who don’t know us yet have an understanding of what a better world can look like.  For example, by showing how cookstoves being built can affect the lives of families in Guatemala, we can truly define how we are transforming lives.  Good Neighbors is such a huge NGO in Asia but we haven’t yet defined who we are and what we do to the US audience.  My goal is to change that so that individuals who are passionate about social change will work with us to make a global impact.  In the next few years, I hope to partner with like-minded companies, large and small, and individuals so that by working together we can see the world becoming better and better every day.


Q: When you’re not at work or chasing your twin toddlers at home, what are you usually up to?


Being a working mom with twin toddlers, there’s no such thing as free time!  But when there’s a little time to spare, I love to catch up on my favorite TV shows, like Game of Thrones, Mad Men, Justified or The Walking Dead.  But if I had more time to kill, I would love to learn Spanish!  Anyone want to tutor me?!   


Q: What inspires you on a daily basis?


I realize I’m very lucky to have the things and opportunities that I have had and I hope to be able to provide the same and more for my own children.  But knowing that there are children who don’t even have a quarter of these opportunities is disheartening.  I’m inspired by a mother’s resilience and sacrifice to provide a better future for her children, and by a community leader who works tirelessly for his/her village to become self-sufficient.  And because I see their goals as a reality, I’m inspired to work every day to help make it happen.


——


Thanks so much, Nellie! For more on what we do, visit our website.

No comments:

Post a Comment